I don’t remember whether it was K or N who introduced me to this thing, supposedly a dish that every Anak Kos (those who lived in a dorm) would know by heart. A very Indonesian dish but at the same time very similar in concept to Japanese Okonomiyaki. I seemed to recall that K once prepared us this dish when we were living together with 2 other girls. Four girls in a tiny apartment is a helluva noise, so much that we were kicked out of apartments twice.
VEGETABLE AND NOODLE PANCAKE
makes 2 pancakes
half packet of dry instant noodle – use spaghetti if you like
5-6 green beans, diagonally sliced
1/4 red red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 tbsp canned mushroom, drained
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small shallot, minced
2 small eggs
chicken bouillon in powder
1 tsp OO
1 tbsp sesame oil
Cooking oil in spray
- Boil the noodle in water (sans the seasoning), when it’s cooked, drain in colander. Add 1 tbsp sesame oil so the noodles won’t stick. Set aside in a medium bowl and combine with sliced bell pepper
- Heat up the OO, add in the garlic, shallots, green beans and mushroom at the same time. Cook for 2-3 mins just until they are slightly underdone. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the noodle bowl and mix everything together.
- Heat up a non-stick pan, spray with cooking oil or add a little vegetable oil.
- In a ramekin, break one egg, add a little salt, pepper & chicken bouillon then whisk. Add in the noodle mixture by the fork-full, making sure you have enough egg to hold the noodle and veggies together when cooked later. Mine resulted in only half-filled ramekin.
- Turn the ramekin upside down right on top of the pan, and let it cook for 3-4 mins over medium heat before you remove the ramekin and turn the pancake to cook the other side.
~ If the egg starts to slide out when ramekin is upside down, just press the ramekin butt a little for a minute or so, to stop it.
~ There will be some left over (or maybe my eggs were too small) but since noodle and the vegetables are cooked, you can just polish them off without needing an extra egg.
H : Hmm, this is so good mon coeur that you should also add cheese inside.
Me : is there anything that you don’t eat with cheese????