BUCATINI WITH SPICY SARDINE SAUCE
(adapted from The Glorious Pasta of Italy by Domenica Marchetti)
1 tbsp EVOO
1 large shallot, thinly sliced – I used mandoline
3/4 cup tomato sauce (or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained)
2 tins sardine in oil
freshly ground black pepper
2-3 drops of tabasco (optional)
1 tbsp minced fresh flat leaf parsley
Bucatini enough for 2 (or spaghetti)
- Prepare the bucatini as per instruction.
- While the water is boiling, heat up 1 tbsp EVOO and a tiny oil from the sardine. Coat the shallots with the oil till turn translucent.
- Add in the tomatoes and let it cook/ boil. Add 1 tin of sardine together with the oil, and the other tin drained of its oil. Break the sardines into chunks.
- Add in the black pepper and tabasco.
- Let the mixture simmer for few minutes to allow the sardine absorb the tomato sauce before adding the parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. By this time, the pasta should be done.
- Drain the pasta, keeping 1 cup of pasta water, and transfer it to the tomato mixture. Mix to let the pasta coat evenly. Serve immediately.
I serve with a dollop of the ricotta I made this morning 😉