Vegetable spring rolls traditionally is prepared with fresh bean sprouts, at least the Indonesian version. But the bean sprouts I found here come in a jar, already soaked in vinegar. And no matter what people say or advise, the vinegar taste can’t be camouflaged. It wasn’t awful, but I certainly am not proud of a spring roll like that. In fact, I’m terribly embarrassed! So I started experimenting with other ingredients, like green beans or cabbage, at times with chicken or mince beef and fried egg. This one I made with cabbage, but what made it extra goodilicious is the ginger and spring onion sauce. I think this is my best spring rolls to date, hands-down.
VEGETABLE SPRING ROLL
(makes 12 rolls)
2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
4-5 large cabbage leaves, sliced 1-cm wide. Discard the thick part if you prefer.
5 dried shiitake mushroom, boiled till soft. Throw away the “stalk” and diced the now-soft “umbrella”
3-4 medium shallots, sliced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp chicken bouillon powder, optional
2-3 dashes of pepper – I used white pepper
pinch of sugar
1 tbsp ginger and scallion sauce
spring roll wrappers
- In a non-stick skillet, heat up some oil over medium heat and add in the shallots. After 30 sec or so (when you can start smelling the fragrance), add in the garlic and the ginger scallion sauce. Stir well and don’t let it burnt.
- Add in the carrots and cabbage. Cover to let it cook for few mins.
- Once the vegetables have turned soft, lower the heat and start seasoning with salt, pepper and if you like, some chicken seasoning. Season just a tad saltier than it’s supposed to be, because once it’s wrapped and fried, it won’t be as salty, but you still want to have a bite to it.
- Transfer and let it cool.
- Once it’s cool enough to handle, use 2 heaping teaspoonful of filling for each roll. Wrap and roll as per photos below. Dab a little water to seal the wrapper.
- Fry just before serving time. It’s best to be served a little bit hot and still crispy.
~ When frying the rolls, just fill in the skillet with oil to the point when the rolls are dropped inside, it will reach halfway up.Turn them once one side is fried.
~ Before you wrap the rest, do one up and fry it. Taste it see if the seasoning is right for you, before you roll the rest. Good luck!
H is a very lucky man indeed.