.. Sweet happy life // May all the days of the year that you live be laughing days // With all my heart, sweet happy life // And may the night times that follow the days be dancing nights // Stars for your smile // Moons for your hair // And someone’s wonderful love // For your loving heart to share.. (Peggy Lee, Sweet Happy Life)
I have this theory that when I’m embarking to the unknown, I want it to be accompanied by nice music. Like a little prayer for it to be turn amazing. And it did. It turned my risotto beet-sweet and H happy.
BEET ROOT RISOTTO WITH MIXED MUSHROOM
(adapted from Bella Eats)
5 small beet roots, peeled and diced bite size
1.5 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup shredded emmental
5 cups vegetable stock
coarse black/white pepper – I used white pepper for this one
2 tbsp Olive oil
sauteed mushroom from the recipe here
- Preheat oven to 180C. Put in the diced beets into a baking ware, cover with aluminum foil and bake about 45 mins or till fork can easily pierce into the beet. Remove and let it cool down.
- In a pot, heat up the stock till it simmers then reduce to low.
- On a pan, heat up the olive oil and saute the onion till they are translucent.
- Add in the rice and and stir to let it coated with the oil.
- Add in the wine and stir. When the wine has evaporated, ladle the stock just to cover the rice. Stir and cook till it’s almost completely absorbed by the rice, then ladle again.
- When the rice is half cooked, add in the beet root. Add more stock and stir, making sure you have an even red colour all over.
- Once the rice is done, add in the cheese and season with salt & pepper. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with cilantro and topped with sauteed mushroom
~ I used red wine because that’s what I have and I figured since it’s going to turn red anyway, might as well use what I have.
~ I used a mix of dried mushroom: porcini, portobello and cremini (about half cup). Soaked in hot water and later on, I added this mushroom water into the vegetable broth. Why waste, right?