So the other day I found a good chunk of Gorgonzola for 5 usd. Extremely good bargain, btw. Well, if you can get pass the slimy wet look and the blue veins, you’re in for a good ride. Fresh gorgonzola might be offensive in terms of smell and look, but if you’ve eaten Pizza Quatro Formaggio, you’ve eaten gorgonzola my friend. I don’t know if I have enough for Triple Play (I’ve used half for the pizza alone), but I’ll try.
I don’t remember where I get this pizza recipe, but it has served me numerous time over and again. It’s easy and quick, no excessive kneading needed. No rising needed. 12 mins baking to get crispy crust.
BASIC THIN PIZZA
1 packet dry active yeast (abt 8g per packet)
1/4 tsp sugar
3/4 C hot water (37 to 43 deg celcius)
1+ 3/4 C bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 260 C.
- In a bowl, put in the yeast, sugar and add the hot boiling water. Let it sit for 8 mins.
- In a large bowl, sift in the bread flour and salt, then whisk to mix well.
- Make a well and pour in the yeast mixture. Mix.
- Dust the working area with flour, then pour the dough and knead for 2-3 mins. Flatten using rolling pin and transfer into your pizza pan or parchment paper.
- Put your topping then bake for 12 mins until edges turn brown.
Note: You can make this using all purpose flour, cake flour.. you name it, I’ve tried it all. But I find the pizza is extremely good (i.e. chewy and not too dry) using bread flour. Higher gluten ratio than all purpose flour. You’ll also find if you make chocolate chip cookies with a mix of bread flour and all purpose flour, the cookies will be chewier too.
GORGONZOLA-BASED PIZZA WITH ONIONS, AVOCADO & TUNA
(adapted from Sweet Paul Magazine, Fall 2011)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp OO
approx. 40-50 gr gorgonzola
1.5 tins tuna in water
1 small avocado
parsley to garnish
- In a pan, heat up the oil and add in the onion. Cook until they turn brown and caramelize. Add a splash of water if the pan is too dry.
- Crumble the gorgonzola and sprinkle all over the pizza dough. Top with caramelized onions.
- Cook in 230 C for exactly 6 mins and remove from oven.
- Sprinkle the tuna, add more gorgonzola if there is area that’s dry.
- Bake another 6 mins or till pizza turns golden.
- Top with avocado, cilantro and season with salt and pepper.