This is firmly becoming an all time favourite. Spicy enough but not to the point that the tongue goes all numb but still bursts with flavors. The lemon zest adds the right oomph. If H can eat this, anyone can, though I would hold back from feeding children. Low maintenance. Imagine if you can grill this over BBQ.
PERI PERI CHICKEN
(adapted from Savour by Marc Hirschowitz, Karen Alsfine & Estelle Sacharowitz)
3 fresh chillies, de-seed and chopped
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp peri-peri powder
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
3/4 C olive oil
1 Chicken, butterflied
lots of salt & black pepper
1 lemon, juice and zest
- Making the peri-peri sauce: mix the chillies, paprika, peri-peri powder, garlic and olive oil. Leave to stand for few hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C.
- Clean the chicken, and rub it with salt, pepper, lemon zest and lemon juice. Grill the chicken for 30 mins.
- Take out and baste both sides with the peri peri sauce. Lower the temperature to 200 C and put the chicken back in.
- Bake for another 20 mins or so, till chicken is cooked, brown and crispy, turning half way.