Another thing beside piri-piri, one can not miss maracuja in Angola. The season is probably right about now. It is advised to choose one with deep colour and heavy. Obviously mine aren’t deep in colour and aren’t very heavy. I waited a week to see if they would ripen a little bit, but nothing seemed to really happen.
There are several recipes to make mousse de maracuja (passion fruit mousse). The easiest involves a tin of condense milk and yields a custardy mousse. But I want mine to be like airy chocolate mousse. Light and full of bubbles, like H said. So after searching high and low and one big failure that ended up straight to the garbage bin, I modified a Lemon Mousse recipe. I figured same tartness, right? But importantly, the lemon mousse recipe starts with fresh lemon juice, that I simply substitute with fresh passion fruit juice.
Depending how ripe (and sweet) your passion fruits are, you might want to modify the sugar quantity.
PASSION FRUIT MOUSSE
(adapted from Indian Simmers)
yield 6-7 serving
3 extra-large whole eggs
3 extra-large eggs, separated
1 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup fresh passion fruit juice – about 6 passion fruits
1 cup heavy cream
- Break three eggs in a heat-proof bowl. Now separate the remaining three eggs and add the yolks into the same bowl and put the white on another bowl for later.
- Into the egg & yolk bowl, add 1 cup sugar, passion fruit juice, and a pinch of salt. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Whisk until the mixture has become a (slightly) runny custard. I probably spent 15 mins or more whisking. Just make sure it’s not runny, but not as thick as lemon curd sold in jars because once it cool down, it will thicken further.
- Let it cool down for 15 mins and cover with cling wrap directly on the surface. Put into fridge for 1-2 hrs.
- Take out the egg whites from before, add a pinch of salt and beat until soft peaks. Add the 1 tbsp sugar and beat further till stiff peaks and shiny. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the cream until stiff peaks.
- Transfer the egg whites and cream into the passion fruit custard and fold. Chill for few hours before serving.