These days I wish time would stand still so that I could soak all the perfectness in my life right this second. Not perfect as in dictionary-definition perfect sans glitch or that I have it all. But the mind-heart balance I have right now, like I have no doubt, no fear about tomorrow. It is as if I’m back to my childhood, knowing only the goodness in life exists. This everyday-is-thanksgiving doesn’t happen often, but when it happens, every moment needs to be savoured.
I also suspect I have a hairline crack in my ring finger, as a result of wrestling with H on our sofa. Typing needs to be done slowly. I couldn’t lift up things that require all five fingers. But I want to give it few more days before I visit the nice doctor, just to confirm. Besides, it’s been nice exploiting H’s remorse and guilt. I have bigger ice cream portion, and extra Kit Kat. Ha! Who needs doctor?
I don’t feel like cooking recently. Ever since we have our flights confirmed, I have been looking at the calendar every other hour, wishing the snow is waiting for me to arrive. But I made this cardamom yogurt chicken over the weekend, something simple and fuss free. It can be prepped the night before and takes minimum effort. There is no lack of flavor from the spices, and because I’m not supposed to, I poured the juices from the pan onto the rice.
ROAST CHICKEN WITH CARDAMOM AND YOGURT
Seeds from 6 cardamom pods – I use 1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 chicken, butterflied
Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Grind cardamom seeds and peppercorns in a mortar with pestle to a fine powder. Add salt, coriander, cumin and garlic. and smash the garlic. Add the olive oil to form a paste. Stir in yogurt, ginger and lemon juice.
- Place chicken in a large bowl or pan. Rub yogurt between skin and breasts and thighs. Then smear remaining yogurt over the outside of the chicken, front and back.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove chicken from refrigerator 30 minutes before roasting.
- Preheat oven to 220 C (425 F).
- Place chicken breast-side up in a baking pan or cast iron pan. Bake in oven until thoroughly cooked, 45 minutes – 1 hour. Remove and let rest 15 minutes before carving. Serve garnished with cilantro leaves.