I’m insanely in love with this simple barley salad. Light, crunchy and full of flavors. Perfect for midweek dinner, something that I can prepare in advance. At times I add crumbled feta, sliced chorizo or other protein, but the main ingredients remain the same.
I personally love the tartness of red wine vinegar, but you can also use others like Xeres or sherry vinegar, etc. If you’re using balsamic vinegar, skip the honey. Also make sure that after blanching the green beans, you dunk them in ice cold water to retain the bright green color.
There is a certain majesty in simplicity which is far above all the quaintness of wit.
– Alexander Pope
SIMPLE BARLEY SALAD
(inspired by Food52)
1 sachet (125 gr) barley for two servings
About 120 gr green beans, chopped to 3-4 cm long
handful (10-12) cherry tomatoes, halved
handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tbsp chopped dill
1 shallot, diced
1/2 tsp honey
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp EVOO
sea salt flakes
- Cook the barley as per manufacturer’s instruction.
- In a pot of boiling hot water, add some salt then add the green beans. Blanch for 3-4 mins, till it’s no longer hard, then dunk in ice cold water to stop cooking. Drain & set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the honey with the red wine. Whisk till most of the honey is diluted, then add the olive oil and the shallots.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked barley, green beans, tomatoes, walnuts, the vinaigrette and the dill. Season with salt & pepper.
- Taste & adjust. Serve room temperature or cold (we prefer cold!)