After making Spinach Tofu Gyoza the other day, I still have more than half can of water chestnut. My knowledge on this ingredient is rather limited. What else can you do with water chestnuts? As far as I can recall, I only encounter them in Chinese cuisine, often inside dumpling (soup) or over stir fry broccoli. So here I’m injecting these Chinese flavors into a regular turkey burger.
I was rather surprised at the beginning how well it turned out to be. Then I made it again the second time just to see if we still love it as much. Yes we do.
It is very juicy, very light since the turkey mixture is lightened with the water chestnut, and the crunch is actually a nice change to the usual meaty burger. The entire tomato & salad ensemble adds to an overall light and healthy meal. I’m really really pleased.
TURKEY & WATER CHESTNUT BURGER
makes 7 patties of 65 gr each
300 gr Turkey breast meat, roughly cubed
100 gr Water chestnut, drained and roughly chopped
2 tbsp sliced scallions
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
3 large Thai bird’s eye chili, deseeded and sliced thinly
a hearty dose of black pepper
1 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
3/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp water
salad of your choice – I used mesclun salad mixture here
English muffin, toasted
- In a (mini) food processor, add in the turkey and pulse few times before adding the water chestnut. Pull few more times, stopping in between to scoop out the bottom mixture while pushing the big chunks below.
- Repeat this few times making sure the big chunks of turkey or the chestnuts are chopped into smaller pieces, but still relatively chunky.
- Add in the scallions, cilantro and the chili. Pulse & mix until it become a consistent “paste”.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, add in the black pepper.
- Make the seasoning sauce. If you’re familiar with your Chinese cuisine, adjust the taste to your liking. Otherwise, pour the seasoning over the meat mixture.
- Using a spoon or hand, mix further. Using an ice cream scoop, make into patties. Mine weighs 65 gr each.
- In a non stick pan, spray with some cooking oil and cook the patties few mins each side until brown.
- Serve with a slice of tomato, some salad and toasted English muffin.