Have you ever made pasta with garlic breadcrumbs before? Or even Aglio Olio? If you have, then you’d understand how simple this dish is. There are times when I want full, robust flavors but there are times when I just want a simple dish, taking stock of yet another week rapidly coming to an end.
The weather is slowly staying on the 30s, heat wave is announced, rain come and go in a blink of an eye. The mosquitoes aren’t shy to visit either so we’ve been burning citronella on all corners of the apartment. I get woken up from time to time in the middle of the night just because it is so warm. I miss having air-con!
Finally we are settled, I feel settled. For the next 9 months or so. As part of integration process with la vie en France, I had to attend civic course, complete with national anthem, history lesson and learn my rights as a resident and a woman. I had to do a CV in french and attend a professional competence evaluation. Luckily, they left me alone when it comes to french language. And no, it’s not for citizenship. In total, I had 4 certifications that are extremely precious to renew my carte sejour next year.
Anyway, I’ll stop yabbing. Here’s the recipe..
SPAGHETTI WITH GARLIC CAULIFLOWER CRUMBS & HERBES DE PROVENCE
Spaghetti enough for 2 – for us this is about 140 gr
180 gr cauliflower, washed and cut into smaller florets
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp herbes de provence
2-3 tbsp EVOO, more if needed
sea salt flakes
4 tbsp shredded parmesan, more to taste
- Cook the spaghetti as per manufacturer’s instruction.
- In a mini food processor, process the cauliflower florets into smaller pieces. Stopping in between to scoop out the smaller pieces and pushing the bigger ones down. Do in batches if needed.
- Heat up 2 tbsp olive oil, over low-medium heat, add in the minced garlic and stir few times. Once you can smell the garlic, add in the cauliflower. Toss regularly, so they won’t burnt.
- Add in the herbes de provence and season with salt & pepper. Turn off the fire and sprinkle the crumbs mixture with 2 tbsp parmesan and toss some more. Set aside.
- Once the pasta is done, drain and transfer to the crumbs mixture. Add some olive oil if it’s too dry and toss further. Taste & adjust seasoning.
- Plate and serve with another sprinkle of shredded cheese.